Local and National Astronomical Societies
I'm a Member of these Local Groups:
- Fordingbridge Astronomers — Small, friendly group, firmly rooted in the local community.
- Wessex Astronomical Society — Well-established society. Meets in Wimborne and has observing evenings at Durlston (Swanage).
- New Forest Stargazers — A practical observing group; observes from a dark site in the New Forest.
- British Astronomical Association
- Federation of Astronomical Societies — An umbrella organisation for local societies.
- Royal Astronomical Society
- Society for Popular Astronomy
- The Webb DeepSky Society
- Astrophysics Data System (SAO/NASA Digital Library portal )
- The Campaign for Dark Skies The International Dark Sky Association
- Heavens Above (Satellite, including ISS and Iridium Flare predictions, Bright Asteroids and Comets)
- IAU Minor Planet Center (Asteroids and Comets)
- International Meteor Organization
- The International Occultation Timing Association
- Solar Dispatch (Aurora Warnings)
- Spaceweather.com (Sunspots, Solar Flares, CMEs, Aurora)
Near Earth Objects
Stuff in the Sky
- The Binocular Sky — All you need for Binocular Astronomy
- Astronomy Picture of the Day
- Optics Picture of the Day
- Atmospheric Optics
- Digital Images of the Sky
- Observing Notes (Currently Available Objects to Observe, by constellation)
History of Astronomy
- History of Astronomy Links (Comprehensive and well-organised set of links from the University of Bonn)
- Society for the History of Astronomy
- Journal for the History of Astronomy
- History of Astronomy — The C14/ICHA site
- Cartes du Ciel (Windows, MacOS and Linux; Freeware)
- Earth Centred Universe (Windows)
- Guide (Windows, DOS — runs perfectly in Linux with Wine)
- Home Planet (Windows; Freeware)
- SkyChart (Windows and MacOS)
- SkyMap (Windows)
- Starry Night (Windows, MacOS)
- Stellarium (Windows, MacOS and Linux; Freeware)
- TheSky (Windows, MacOS)
- Xephem (Linux, MacOS; Freeware)
Observation Planning and Logging
Imaging and Image Processing
- VSpec (Windows; Freeware)
- AstroTips Frequently updated and very comprehensive repository of astronomical software
- Star Charts and Astronomy Software
- Objects in the Sky — Quick explanations of the various types of astronomical objects (.PDF).
- Paul's Glossary — An exceptionally comprehensive glossary of astronomical words, abbreviations, symbols, facts, etc.(.PDF))
- My Glossary — A smaller, alphabetical, glossary of astronomical terms.
- Phil Salimbene's Glossary — Yet another glossary of astronomical terms.
- Photonics Dictionary — Definitions, Abbreviations, Illustrations, Terms
General Astronomy Tutorials
- Astronomy for Beginners Exactly what it says it is!
- Asterism Astronomical Tutorials — Astronomy Tutorials
- Astronomical Unit Tutorials — Tutorials in Practical, Theoretical and Historical Astronomy
- Orrery Store — Beautiful mechanical orreries, and a very nicely implemented Flash orrery that works in both Copernican and Tychonian modes.
- USNO Data Services — Lots of Useful Astronomical Data
- Fotosearch Astronomy Image Gallery — Good selection of commercially available royalty-free images
- The 100 Nearest and 100 Brightest Stars
- Telescope Buyer's FAQ
- International Journal of Scientific History
- Magnetic Declination and Field Value Calculators
- This Restless Globe — A Look at the Motions of the Earth in Space and How They Are Changing
- Optics and Visual Perception
- Colour Filters for Astronomy
- Lunar and Solar Periods
- IAU FAQ on Naming Stars
- The Moon Illusion (1)
- The Moon Illusion (2)